A series of 6 recorded classes to get you growing mushrooms like a pro.
When I started growing mushrooms nine years ago it was hard to know where to begin. I made this course so you don’t have to start where I did. This course will save you from years of trials and screw ups (I already did that) and get you growing mushrooms and mycelium successfully! We will focus on the fundamentals of mushroom cultivation and build up to all the details of designing a commercial mushroom farm. Any successful farm has to sell products as well as grow them, so we will explore successful ways of selling fresh mushrooms, products beyond mushrooms, and how to access and apply for grant money. This course is useful for anyone from the home scale grower to the small scale mushroom farmer. The course includes:
- (6) 90 minute recorded lectures–Lifetime access
- Further videos and resources to watch
- Readings from a variety of books to deepen your understanding
- (1) 30 minute private consultation with Willie Crosby
- 25% off discount code for the Fungi Ally website
Week 1: Fungal Fundamentals.
What are Fungi–Mushroom Life Cycle–Fungal Ecology–Mission and Goals–Outlook of Specialty Mushroom Industry
Week 2: Beginning Stages
Seven stages of cultivation–Sectors of commercial cultivation–Shiitakes on logs– Receiving and Storing Spawny
Week 3: Treated substrates
Oysters on straw–Supplemented sawdust–Treating bulk substrates–Inoculation– Using Ready to fruit blocks
Week 4: Designing a commercial operation
Materials flow– Useful equipment at different scales–Lab design and equipment–DIY schematics
Week 5: Fruiting and Sales
Fruiting mushrooms–Harvest– Selling at Farmers Markets–Developing restaurant customers– Mushroom CSA–Tracking–Grower profile
Week 6: Other opportunities
Medicinal mushroom products use and creation–Writing grants/grant opportunities–Selling spawn and grow kits
Start your mushroom business TODAY!
Skills you will gain
- Grow 5-500 pounds a week depending on your goals
- Understand the mushroom life cycle and ecological roles
- Have an outline to the stages of mushroom cultivation
- Successful cultivation of shiitake on logs, oyster on straw, wine cap on wood chips and other at home techniques
- Know how to cultivate mushrooms on high yield substrates like supplemented sawdust
- Develop a mission, goal, and strategies based business
- Know the specialty mushroom industry and opportunities to plug into it
- How to sell mushrooms as a stand alone business or in conjunction with other crops
- Make a business plan and start growing/selling mushrooms
So far I am in week 3 and to be honest it's been a little challenging to get through the lessons. The instructor is experienced and knowledgeable, but the style is very monotone. Not much excitement going on. Maybe the next lessons will be different.
This is an amazing course!!! Lot of knowledge! Very happy I joined the class... Time to grow with the knowledge.
I have been looking around how to grow mushrooms for quite some time. I started looking at various YouTubers. Looking at all those different sources of information out there online, for me made it hard to get an overview of what is needed to start growing mushrooms commercially. The course Fungially offers allowed me to get a clear oversight of how the processes and grow spaces work. What should be taking into consideration, and some additional useful information. The goal for this year is to establish a small-scale mushroom production of 10 to 20 kg a week in Denmark, Europe. This course contributed greatly towards the insight needed to make that happen.
The Commercial Cultivation course was by far one of the best learning experiences I've had the pleasure of participating in! Willie's vast knowledge and interactive teaching style allowed for extremely dense weekly learning, while also being accessible to all levels of experience. Throughout the six weeks of lectures, I was able to fully develop my business plan and understand all of the moving pieces within a commercial mushroom operation; Willie was there to answer all of my questions along the way and provide insight on both environmentally friendly practices and financial feasibility.
Amazing! I know everything I need to now to get my mushroom business going. Willie is so great! He's funny and informative and made me look forward to the next weeks class.