Mushroom Pot Pie!
Dylan here- I'm a big fan of using what's on hand to come up with dishes you don't see every day. Had a fun time experimenting with mushroom pot pie recipe last week. I used Fungi Ally shiitakes, Next Barn Over vegetables, and Hilltown Grazers ground pork. I encourage further experimentation with and substitutions to the recipe below! Recipe:
- Chop 2-3 lb mushrooms, 2 parsnips, 2 lb potatoes, 1/2 a celery root into bite-sized pieces.
- Saute mushrooms and 1/2 lb ground pork with a few tablespoons fat (I used butter) until browned and slightly reduced, about 15 min, add to a 13x9" baking dish (or you could roast the mushrooms in the 13x9 at 400 to save a dish).
- Saute or roast all other vegetables until softened slightly, add to the 13x9 with the mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet on medium heat, add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, and cook with constant stirring until fragrant and darkened (mine was the color of coffee). Whisk in 1.5 cups buttermilk, cook a few minutes until thickened and add to the 13x9 with everything else.
- Add any desire spices and seasonings to the 13x9- I used 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tbs smoked paprika, a few tbs of flambe'd brandy- and mix everything together.
- Top with desired pie topping- I used pre-made puff pastry that I needed to get rid of- and brush with more buttermilk.
- Bake until pie topping is golden brown, 40 minutes to an hour.
- Let cool and dig in!